Every Sunday morning, you will find me at West End Farmers Market in Alexandria picking up my fruits, veggies and flowers for the up coming week. There are so many reasons why I love shopping at farmers markets – not only does is support local small businesses, but it reminds me of Vietnam and my travels to Europe, Asia, and Mexico where these types of markets are an everyday event. If you are currently not shopping at farmers’ markets, see my top five reasons below why you should.
1. Food is fresh – not like some of the old, moldy, or drab-looking produce you see at the regular grocery stores.
2. The fruits, veggies, and flowers are seasonal, so you get the best of whatever is in season!
3. You are contributing to your community by directly supporting the local farmers and their families in a challenging economy, and as a bonus, you know exactly where your food is coming from!
4. It’s a great way to connect with your local community while meeting new people and learning new things. I always discover something new every time.
5. It’s good exercise! Walking, talking, and carrying what you buy without the convenience of a shopping cart in the grocery store. So there is some weight lifting there. One time, I bought a water melon that was over 6 pounds to carry back home along with every thing else!
I hope you like the photos below that I took recently at the Old Town Alexandria market.